Metin Cengiz was born in Kars in 1953. He attended to Göle primary School (1964), Kars Alparslan High School (1972), and graduated from Erzurum Atatürk University, Faculty of Basic Sciences and Foreign Languages, Department of French (1977). During his years at the university, he worked as a civil officer at the Turkish Statistical Institute for a short time (1973). Meanwhile, he completed his studies at Marmara University, Department of French. After working as a teacher in Muş, he resigned from his duty, returned back to İstanbul and began to work as a proofreader, editor and translator at publishing houses. He wrote particularly on the problems of poetry in the reviews Hurriyet Gösteri, Varlık and in various newspapers. He established the Şiirden Publishing House in 2005, in collaboration with his friends, to publish poems and essays concerning poetry theory. He won the Behçet Necatigil Poetry Award in 1966 with his book Şarkılar Kitabı (The Book of Songs), Melih Cevdet Anday Poetry Award in 2010 with his book Bütün Şiirleri 1 (Collected poems 1), Bütün Şiirleri 2 (collected poems 2) and Tudor Arghezi İnternational Poetry Award in 2011 (Romanya). By 2014, the city of Mersin in Turkey’s most prestigious award received the Prize for Literature. He is a member of Writers Syndicate of Turkey, the Association of Turkish PEN Writers and the Turkish Authors Association. In 2014, he is received the Literature Prize of the city of Mersin, one of Turkey’s most prestigious award.
His poems are translated into several languages such as French, English, German, Indu, Spanish, Italian, Bosnian, Russian, Romanian, Arabic, Hebrew, Azerbaijani, Serbian, and Kurdish. His selected poems are published in French with the title Apres le Tempete et Autres Poemes (2006, Harmattan). Levant Magazine published his eight poems along with their Turkish under the title “Divan” (2009). In Romania his poems are published in magazines Convorbiri Literare and Poesia (2011). He edited the Anthology titled Çağdaş 17 Türk Şairi is published by Harmattan Publishing (2009). He co-editted the Antology Çağdaş Türk Şiiri Antolojisi (Antology of Contemporary Turkish Poetry) with Jaime B. Rosa, which is also punlished in Spany (2013). Finally he also co-edited the Turkish-Italian poets Anthology titled “”Como Cerchi Sull’acqua/ Suda Halkalar Gibisin” (published in Italy, 2014) with Vito Intini. He organized several international festivals in Yalova, Çanakkale and Nicosia. Now he has been advising Eskişehir International Poetry Festival and now he is organizers of the International Kartal Poetry Festival. He attended numerous International festivals and symposiums. His poetry benefits from tradition by challenging it, reflects the realities of the modern world and tries to elaborate them in dept with the realities of life as reflected from his internal world. Being known with his articles on poetry in his early period, the poet has become one of the pioneers of the period after 1980, with his theoretical articles and discussions on poetry.
- Bir Tufan Sonrası (After A Deluge, 1988)
- Büyük Sevişme (The Great Love, 1980)
- Zehirinde Açan Zambak (The Lilly that Bloom in its Poison, 1991)
- İpek’e (To İpek, 1993)
- Şarkılar Kitabı (The Books of Songs, 1995)
- Gençlik Çağı (Juvenille Years, 1998)
- Aşk İlahileri&Günümüze Hüzzamlar (Hymnes Of Love &The Hüzzam Compositions Today, 2005)
- Özgürlük Şiirleri (poems of freedom, 2008)
- Bütün Şiirleri 1 (Collected poems 1, 2008)
- Bütün Şiirleri 2 (Collected poems 2, 2010)
- İmgeler Benim Yurdum (2011) (Images are my home)
- Yeryüzü Halleri (States of the world, 2013).
Essay and Criticism Studies:
- Şiirin Gücü (The Pover of Poetry, 1993; second edition 2006)
- 1923-1953 Toplumcu Gerçekçi Şiir (The Socialist-Realist Poetry between 1923-1953, 2000)
- Modernleşme ve Modern Şiirimiz (Modernism and Our Modern Poery, 2002)
- Şiir, Din ve Cinsellik (Poetry, Religion and Sexuality, 2005)
- Nâzım’dan 70’li Yıllara Türk Şiirine Eleştirel Bir Bakış (A Critical Essay on Turkish Poetry from Nâzım to 70’s, 2005)
- Şiir, Biçim, Biçem, Şiirin Teorik Sorunları (The Poetry, Forme, Style –Theoretical Problems of Poetry, 2005)
- Şiir, Dil, Şiir Dili ve Şiirsel Anlam (Poetry, Language, Language of Poetry and Poetic Meaning, 2006)
- Küreselleşme, Postmodernizm ve Edebiyat (Globalisation, Postmodernism and Literature, 2007)
- İmge Nedir? (What is image?)
- Kültür ve Şiir (Culture and poetry, 2010)
- Felsefe ve Şiir (Philosophy and poetry, 2010)
- Naim Araidi/A Festival for Grief (2010)
- Şiire ve Hayata Dair Denemeler (2011) (Essays on Poetry and Life)
- Gerard Augustin/Selected Poetry (with Eray Canberk, Başak Aydınalp, Müesser Yeniay 2011)
- Michel Cassir/Personal Anthology (with Eray Canberk, Müesser Yeniay ile, 2011)
- Cemal Sureya poetry (2012)
- Thought of poetry in Plato and Aristotle (2012)
- Tahar Bekri/Impatient Dreams (with Medine Sivri, 2012)
- How to Write Poetry (2013)
- Çağdaş İspanyol Şiiri Antolojisi/Contemporary Spanish Poetry Anthology (with Müesser Yeniay, 2013)
- Sea Poems (Jaime B. Rosa, translation, 2014).
- Hayat, Edebiyat, Siyaset-Ahmet Oktay ile Dünden Bugüne (Life, Literature, Politics –with Ahmet Oktay from Yesterday to Today, 2005).