Osvaldo Sauma worked as professor of Literary Expression at the Conservatorio Castella, San Jose, Costa Rica from 1981 to 2010. He participated to numerous international poetry festivals, such as Medellin and Bogota (Colombia), Granada (Nicaragua), Rosario (Argentina), California Poets in the Schools, San Francisco, California (USA). World Poetry Festival (Chile), Mundo Latino (Mexico), International Festival of Literature Jaime Sabines (Mexico), Intercontinentale Festival Mediterranea della Poesia (Rome, Italy), Kritya, Mysore (India), among others. He has worked as Literature Branch Coordinator at the International Festival of Arts of Costa Rica in 1994, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2006 and 2009. He has also been juror in several international poetry awards; Ricardo Miró, branch of poetry (Panama 2000), First Hispanic poetry award Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz (Mexico 1997) and Juan Ramon Molina (Honduras 1983), among others. His works have been translated into English, Italian, French, Portuguese, Arabic and Hindi. In 2013 he won the Costa Rican National Poetry Award “Achilles J. Echeverria” with the anthology, La Canción del Oficio (The song of the Trade).
He is author of several collection of poetry and anthologies:
- 1983, Las huellas del desencanto (Footprints of disenchantment);
- 1985, Retrato en familia (Family Portrait) awarded with the Premio Latinoamericano EDUCA in the same year;
- 1986, Castella Conservatory Children’s Poetry;
- 1990, Anthology of the Castella Conservatory;
- 1992, Los signos vigilantes (Signs of the Wakeful), an anthology of ecological poetry;
- 1993, Asabis;
- Tierra de nadie (No Man’s Land), an anthology of 9 Latin American poets;
- 1997, Madre nuestra Fértil Tierra (Our Mother Fertile Land);
- La sangre iluminada (The enlightened blood), an anthology of 6 Latin American poets;
- 1998, Martes de Poesia en el Cuartel de la Boca del Monte (Tuesdays poetry in El Cuartel de la Boca del Monte), an anthology of Latin American poets;
- 2000, Bitácora del iluso (Chronicles of the deceived), the bilingual edition English-Spanish of this book came out in 2009;
- 2006, El libro del adiós (The Farewell Book);
- 2006, Antología de seis poetas latinoamericanos (Anthology of six Latin American poets);
- 2014, Utopia del Soliatrio (Utopia of the Lonely), a bilingual Italian-Spanish anthological collection of his previous works published in Milan, Italy.